Watching Your Heart

By Sally

This title is literal. I did watch my heart when I went to the hospital for an ablation to my heart.

I cannot take full dosages of anesthetics. If I do, it’s very hard for the techs to bring me out of it. The anesthesiologist was understanding and gave me a light dose. I was still awake, but a little hazy, which I truly am thankful for. I got to see the procedure on the monitor. Yes! And what an exciting, spell binding time it was. Yes, I did feel pain once in a while, but it was worth it. I would definitely do it that way again.

The top chamber of my heart was out of sync with the bottom changer due to arterial fibrillation. This problem started a while ago while I was sleeping. And I had no idea what was happening, but it showed up when I went in for a pacemaker check.

At first it was only a few times. Then it became more severe, going up to 60% to 100% activity, consequently making me very tired and weak.

So I went in for the ablation. They put a pad on your back and front around your heart, and then they make an incision in your groin area and insert a small tube through your body to your heart. Once the tube reaches its destination, they shock the heart to stop the arterial fibrillation. Then they burn it with a wire they put through the tube and break the circular pattern of the attack. Believe me, when I actually saw the circular movement going around my heart, I was so engrossed in what I was watching.

Oh, by the way, yes, they did have screen-like blockers around me so I couldn’t or wasn’t supposed to see, but only being partially sedated, I was aware that I could see around the corner of the screen what was happening. Wow! What a show to watch! I was so excited to be able to see what was happening.

Back to the procedure. There were three rings around the heart. Each time they shocked the heart it would show up and the doctor would zap it, breaking the ring so it couldn’t operate again.

The doctor asked me if I was okay, and I said yes. So he knew I was awake. A nurse once in a while came and turned my head in the other direction so I couldn’t see. But as soon as she left I turned my head back again. I didn’t want to miss anything.

They moved the screen blocker a little closer, but I still found a space where I could see all. Like I said, I was fascinated watching and didn’t want to miss anything. It was awesome – first seeing the tube go through my system, then seeing my heart, and then actually seeing the problem and solution taking place. WOW!

I was supposed to stay overnight, but everything went so well I went home that afternoon, which I was very happy about.

I’m breathing much better now and feel stronger already. I want to do so many things I couldn’t before, but need to go along with the recovery rules. But that too shall pass!

I’m so thankful for an excellent heart doctor and the wonderful team he had working with him. Thank you Lord!

July 2015