Have you heard of the brochure called Five Wishes? It’s a gift you give yourself and a gift to those you love.
It’s been called the first living will with a heart. It was inspired by a hospice resident working with Mother Teresa in Washington D.C. It was written with the help of the American Bar Association on the Legal Problems of the Elderly.
It is your wish
- Of the person you want to make decisions if you can’t
- The kind of medical treatment you want or don’t want.
- How comfortable you want to be.
- How you want people to treat you.
- Things you want your loved ones to know about you and remember.
It’s all about you, it’s for you, and it’s by you.
The questions can be provocative or easy when you can make your own decisions. Much of life is not under your control. But these five wishes are yours to choose. And now may be the time.
You doctor may have the brochure. The Council on Ageing has them. The brochure lists many questions that may help you decide your wishes. It needs to be notarized by a witness to your signature to be legal. Your family and your doctor need a copy.
When your time comes, your family will not have to guess what you’d like done.
The time to ask is now.